Around 300 children have fallen sick in a school in Shamli district in Uttar Pradesh after a chemical leak from a nearby sugar mill.
On Tuesday, the police reported the students from Saraswati Shishu Mandir Public School began to complain of nausea, uneasiness, itching and tears in the eyes.
Just when the school management could react nearly two dozen of the students fainted.
This created a panic in the school and the children were immediately rushed to the district hospital. About 15 of the students were in a serious condition and were referred to Muzaffarnagar and Meerut hospitals.
As the news of the incident spread, the District Magistrate along with the Superintendent of Police rushed to the school to investigate.
Parents were shaken up and some took their children to private hospitals for treatment.
Some parents reported there was chaos in the school for nearly two hours because the medical teams took a while to reach the school.
The school does not have a medical emergency facility making it harder for the students.
The parents have also blamed the district administration for turning a blind eye even after complaints were made in the past. The parents have stated that they have complained in the past that the sugar mills in the area frequently leak poisonous gas that could cause health problems to the children.
The owner of the sugar mill has absconded and the police are looking for the accused.