In a suspected terrorist attack after a pop concert near northwest Manchester, claimed the lives of 19 people and injured nearly 50 people. The pop star Ariana Grande, was performing at the Manchester Arena that houses 21,000 people. After the concert on Monday night, while people were evacuating the arena a loud bang was heard.
Ambulances and Bomb disposal teams were immediately dispatched and hurried to the arena. The city residents opened up their homes for the stranded concert goers, as the train services were shut down.
A police personnel at the site reported, “So far 19 people have been confirmed dead, with around 50 others injured. This is currently being treated as a terrorist incident until police know otherwise.”
The explosion caused mass panic at Grande’s The Dangerous Woman Tour. Reports from the singer’s representative confirmed the safety of the pop star.
One of the concert attendees Majid Khan, 22 spoke to the Britain’s Press Association, “ A huge bomb like bang went off that hugely panicked everyone and we were all trying to flee the arena.” He also added, “It was one bang and essentially everyone from the other side of the arena where the bang was heard from suddenly came running towards us as they were trying to exit.”
Another boy attending the concert, Oliver Jones 17 said, “The bang echoed around the foyer of the arena and people started to run.”
A video from outside the arena shows people screaming and running in chaos.
The pop star Ariana Grande was broken up about the incident and took to twitter to show her sadness and concern.
from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don’t have words.
— Ariana Grande (@ArianaGrande) 23 May 2017
As of now, the police have not received confirmation of who was behind the attack. Two officials spoke about the incident and their initial guess was a suicide bomber was behind the attack.
An US counter terrorism official said, “The choice of venue, the timing and the mode of attack all suggest this was terrorism.”
The British counter terrorism police have been making a minimum of one arrest every day with links to terrorism. They also have been reporting that there is a likely chance of a major attack for the past few years.
Theresa May, British Prime Minister ensured the government is making attempts to establish “the full details of what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack.”
The attack caused a lot of panic and distress with the police canceling at transport facility to Manchester. They have asked people to cooperate at the high alert in the area will continue for the rest of Tuesday.
The Great Manchester Police released a statement on the attack on Twitter.
— G M Police (@gmpolice) 23 May 2017
Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi also took to Twitter to pass his condolences to the victims and their families.
Pained by the attack in Manchester. We strongly condemn it. Our thoughts are with the families of the deceased & prayers with the injured.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) 23 May 2017